One of the reasons I hear to not start a private practice is "I don't want to hussle."
I don't know about you, but I seem to always think of a 20s flapper when I hear that word.
Detour. Sorry. Watching too much Kimmy Schmidt.
The truth is, a private practice is a business and involves more than seeing clients. That said, marketing your business does not mean a) "hussling," b) selling yourself, c) being schmarmy, d) using social media (though, it can), or e) acting extroverted when you don't feel like it.
There are very natural and authentic ways to market a private practice. An authentic marketing strategy requires only two steps.
Seriously, two steps.
1) Know who you are.
2) Know who you want to serve.
(I didn't say they were simple steps.)
Okay, here's your action plan for these steps.
1 Know Who You Are
Steps to choose from to help with this:
- attend therapy (if you are a therapist not doing your own work, then you aren't doing the most important training that you can do, IMHO)
- talk to your friends about your strengths and weaknesses
- be honest about what you enjoy spending time doing
- dress for yourself, not to please someone else or wearing to work what you "should wear"
2 Know Who You Want To Serve
This is not agency work any longer, and unless you are working as a contractor in a group practice or are on many insurance panels, having a "I'll take anyone" approach is very hard to accomplish successfully. When you get clear about who you like to serve and want to serve then your practice will grow. I have seen this to be true time and time again.
- think about who your favorite clients have been. what about working with them brought you joy?
- side question: do you believe you deserve to enjoy your work? do you believe you should get to choose your clients?
- work on your niche with someone who has already done it -- a coach, a friend, or watch an online video.
These are just some of the topics we discuss in our Launch Together mastermind group for private practice. By the end of the group our members are clear on what they want and need to have a thriving private practice. Join us!!!